Thursday, November 20, 2008

Blogcation is Over

I'm back from Dallas and ending my blogcation. Danny's parents ended up having to postpone their trip, so I have a bit more time on my hands than I thought I would.

I still have to go back and do some serious updating on here, but I quickly wanted to post this PSA to any and all of you who fly. When you are at the airport waiting to board your flight, if you see some small children waiting at the gate, it's really nice when you groan loudly and tell your partner in an almost-shout "Hope those rugrats aren't near us!". It is especially effective if said children are sitting quietly on the floor, reading a book and not even running wild.
When you get on the plane and see that you are indeed sitting within 4 rows of these small children, make sure you throw your bags down onto your chair in a huff while you storm off to see about "changing seats so you don't have to sit next to those brats for the whole flight". When it turns out the flight is full and you're stuck, evil eyes, lots of heavy sighing and pointed stares are definitely appropriate. Make sure you turn around every two minutes to peer between the seats to get an eyeful of what those wretched children are doing. Be sure to talk disparagingly about my children loud enough so that my three year old can hear and understand you, too. Make a big show of putting on your headphones and your eye mask, so that everyone around you knows just how angry and irritated you are.

Next time, I'll ensure that my kid kicks the seatback, screams loudly and throws cheerios in your hair. And maybe I'll throw a dirty diaper under your seat, just for good measure.


I never cease to be amazed at what jerks people can be to people traveling with children on airplanes. Not just once, not a couple of times, but nearly every time we fly. And although my kids don't usually sleep on airplanes, they are really very well-behaved and quiet for the duration of the flight. Yes, even Michael. I just shove food at him for the entire flight and he stays happy and quiet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, we were certainly glad to see ya'll - even under the circumstances... Clara is still talking about Kate and Michael. Referring to them as, "You know, my Cousins!" I have a few great pictures that I need to send you. Glad you got home safely... Love ya'll!!