Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Hever Castle




On Sunday, we went down to Kent to visit Hever Castle, which is the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. The website and the train station said it was a "2km country walk" to the castle from the station. We thought "2K? No sweat" and set off on foot to get to the castle via the footpath. Apparently 'country walk' means mud bog in the Queen's English. I nearly lost my (brand new!!!) shoes in the mud, was submerged up to mid-calf, while Danny was cracking up behind me. Like a true gentlemen, he let me go first. And Kate, who I was carrying, kept asking "Mom, why are you so MUDDY? Get out of the mud!!" So that was fun. Finally, I figured out that Danny and Michael could just hop the fence and trespass on some drier ground so Dan got to avoid looking like a street urchin the rest of the day, and the wet squishy socks too.

Despite looking like I had wallowed in mud like a pig, we had a fun time. The gardens were absolutely gorgeous. Kate had a blast in the mazes, and enjoyed the fountains and sculptures too.

The castle was bought in the late 19th century by the Astor family, who created the gardens. The Astors are the family who owned the Waldorf Astoria.









2 comments:

sethnlinds said...

Ya'lls adventures are amazing!! Kate's comment is funny. (It's only funny b/c it's you and not me.) Have you also heard "Mommy, what happened to your hair?" "What are you wearing?" "Dont' get dirty!" (To name a few...) hahahaha Ah the joys of a 3 year old!!! Love ya'll. Lindsay

Laura said...

Hey Linds! They are so funny, aren't they? I can always count on kate to point out a zit, or be sure I know that my undies don't match my shirt (the horror!). She cracks me up!
We miss you guys!!