Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Things I Will Miss About London, #2



Cheese. Fromage. Formaggi. However you say it, it is delicious and will be sorely missed.



I could devote several dozen posts about food items we will miss, but I think that cheese is at the top of the list for all members of our family.

There are many shops devoted especially to cheese, and even the selection at our regular supermarket is phenomenal.


(above photo courtesy of The Guardian)



Fresh unpasteurized cheeses are illegal in the US (must be aged for 60 days to be legal), so most of you dear readers do not get to experience the joy of eating fresh St. Tola goat cheese (Kate's favorite), Normandy Camembert, lancanshire, St. James (laura's favorite) and stichelton blue (Danny's favorite).

One of our favorite things to do is go the cheese shops or farmer's market and spend too much money on new cheeses to try. Kate loves to go because they give out samples, and people are usually a bit surprised to hear a 4 year old asking for "a really, REALLY blue cheese", which is Kate-speak for a strong blue.

But, they don't sell Velveeta here to make queso, or Kraft Mac & Cheese, so I think Danny might almost call it an even trade.

2 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Oooh! Love raw cheese. Enjoy while you can!

Stephanie said...

Yes, my dear, you will miss the cheese! Quite honestly, that's the food I miss the most. Well, that and the bread and desserts! But never fear, we've got more fast food here than you can ever stand!