At least on the rare sunny day. Mostly, I love the food here. It is beyond fabulous. Now that the Sterling has weakened, our buying power has increased. And that means we are able to eat out a bit more often than we used to.
I don't think there is any other city in the world with such an availability of incredible food. You can eat Italian for breakfast, Turkish for lunch, and Ethiopian for dinner. The next day, eat Eritrean, Thai, all different types of Indian, Sri Lankan, Greek, Moroccan, French, Swedish, Chinese and so on. I heard a statistic that you could eat out for every meal for 34 years and never eat at the same place twice. This all bodes very well for my food-loving family, but not so well for my skinny jeans.
Today, after my Pilates class, I went to a excellent Turkish (my favorite type of food) restaurant. I had a fantastic meal of hot mezze, lamb kofte, and Turkish tea. It was served with Izgara soĆ’an, grilled onions in a pomegranite sauce, an onion salad with chili and a shepherd salad, all with fresh hot Turkish flat bread. Then I walked down to the Turkish bakery and purchased several pastries to share with the family. Unfortunately for Danny, Kate and Michael, I ate most of it on the bus ride home.
Michael goes to nursery 1 day a week, and so I have been enjoying eating out kid free once a week. I try to go explore places that would not be easy to go with the kids...which would be most everywhere. London, for all of its wonderful qualities, is not a place that welcomes children. Most places don't have a highchair, and keeping Michael the monkey still in your lap while trying to eat is no small feat. People here don't generally bring their children out to dinner, so if you want to eat out for supper, you have to either eat at chain restaurant or eat at 5p, which is of course impossible when D gets home from work at 6:30.
There are some things that I do miss about the US. However, with the exception of Mexican, the food is not one of them.
Monday, March 02, 2009
I Love London
Posted by
Laura
at
3:49 PM
Labels: London Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have always loved and admired your adventurous food spirit :)
Oh, I'm drooling. I miss the food of London, especially the Indian and Thai food. So good. Wow, I never realized about the lack of high chairs. So do families mostly eat at home? Is eating out reserved for couples? Interesting.
Post a Comment