Thursday, March 06, 2008

Tower of Doom



One of the things that I've always wanted to do was visit the Tower of London. The Tower was built by William the Conqueror, beginning in the 1070s. It was intended to be a fortress to protect the monarchy in war and as a powerbase in peacetime. It is most famous today as the site of many executions and torture, although it has had various uses throughout its history, including a menagerie, Royal Observatory, a prison, royal residence, a mint and storage.

I never realized how large the Tower really was...I always just thought it was a singular tower or two.






The Yeoman Warders are the keepers of the Tower. They are part of the Queen's personal guards. I didn't realize that they actually live within the tower. There are 36 of them, and there is a lengthy list of requirements to become a Yeoman. They have to be retired military of a certain rank from the British Army, Royal Air Force or Royal Marines. Members of the Royal Navy are not eligible since they take an oath to the Admiralty, not the Royal Crown.


We were lucky enough to be just in time for a free guided tour led by the Yeomans (aka "Beefeaters", just like the Gin!). They are called Beefeaters because back in the day, most military men were only able to afford to eat mutton. The Yeomans, being the privileged bunch they were, had beef as part of their payment rations. Hence the name. See, aren't you glad you came here today? Tell that fun factoid to your friends and impress people.



This is traitor's gate, by which prisoners entered the tower for imprisonment.


This is known as Bloody Tower, gaining that name in the 16th century because of the murderous deeds which took place there.



The famous Ravens:




Charles II ordered their removal after they proved damaging to the Royal Observatory which was in the Tower. He was then told of the legend that if the ravens were to leave, the monarchy would crumble. So he limited their number to 6, and there have been ravens there ever since. Their wings are clipped so that they remain on the grounds. Most of the ravens were killed during the Blitz in WWII, so ever since then they have kept 9, just in case. Those Yeomans are practical like that. All of the ravens have names, and the average lifespan of the Tower ravens is 20+ years (which is really long for a raven, apparently). I'd live a long life too if I was living in the lap of luxury like these guys.



Michael stayed awake during the tour. He wanted to make sure he didn't get near any of the torture instruments they had on display.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hey girl,
I love reading your blog! You are so informative. I live here too and have visited the same places, but couldn't tell you half of the facts you can. I'm going to refer everyone to your blog for all the info!

We missed you at book club, but I know it's fun to have visitors. Our first visitors come next week...we can't wait!! Hopefully we can chat soon!