Wednesday, January 30, 2008

If You're Happy and You Know it...

We don't believe in using cute euphemisms like "wee wee" for body parts. It is important to me that my children know the anatomically correct names for things on their body. (There has been significant research on the fact that children knowing the correct names for parts of their body helps prevent sexual abuse. Furthermore, I believe it is important that children not be taught that words like "vagina" are dirty or shameful.)

Of course, with a two year old, this can be very amusing sometimes. So yesterday we were singing the favorite "If you're happy and you know it..." song, and were doing the normal things like clap your hands,stomp your feet, etc etc.
Kate burst in with the version of "If you're happy and you know it, touch your nipples". She is also very fond of reciting what people are wearing, and the other day Danny got a narration of a "diamond (argyle) sweater, jeans, and nipples". I could go on for hours with similar stories, it is very hard to keep a straight face sometimes.

1 comment:

Amy McCown said...

Hello. I just emailed Melissa to get your email address. There are two couple from our church in Dallas that just moved to London. I was going to send an email to introduce you all.

I have not bought a food scale yet. I may have to do that soon though. Does Jamie Oliver have cooking shows on TV up there. He was on a local station doing an interview a few months ago here. He is so fun to watch cook. I won tickets to a cooking show he did at Central Market a few years ago. He played the drums and sang while he was cooking. It was crazy.

Love Kate's version on if your happy and you know it.