March is Maple Syrup season. The warmer days and cold nights make it prime weather for tapping the maple trees to extract the sugary, delicious goodness. There is only about a 2-3 week window that the trees are able to be tapped. Since we now live in New England, I figured this was one of the things that we had to go do. (Yes, this post is about 5 weeks late!)
We drove about an hour to a small town that was holding its annual "Maple Fest". There were several sugar houses there, and more maple syrup flavored foods than I have ever heard of.
theSaevas do love real maple syrup-none of that Aunt Jemima stuff at our house-so we were game to try it all. Maple Syrup snow cones, cotton candy, hard candy, ice cream, hot dogs, kettle corn, and of course just straight spoonfuls were all on the menu. Along with a tummy ache.
The trees all have these buckets nailed to them to collect the sap.

Oh, and maple syrup on vanilla ice cream is delicious. Try it...you'll like it.



2 comments:
Wow, what an experience! No doubt about it, our families shared in on some pretty great adventures while living overseas. I think Judie said you are happy to be home, but we miss the Peens. Would go back in a heartbeat.
We are happy to be back in the US (not home! "home" will always be Texas!), but I do miss certain things about London. I'd move back, I would just want to have a car next time!
I'd go to the peens in a heartbeat too!
Post a Comment