Sunday, January 11, 2009

Brrrrr....Borough Market

Borough Market is like Mecca for Foodies. It is a huge market that is held weekly with tons on incredible artisan foods. They have monks from Italy selling Parma Ham, Polish sausages, stalls of olives, artisan bread, small farm meats, handmade candy, organic seasonal fruit and veg, olive oil from Spain, Greece, & Italy. There is also hummus, local cider, Indian food, Greek Food, British food, juice bar, etc.


During the warmer weather, it is one of my favorite places to go wander and be inspired. Yesterday, Danny wanted to see if they had a stall that sells Masa Harina so that we could make some tortillas. So we woke up, bundled up, and headed down to London Bridge where the market is held.



We knew it was cold out, but we didn't really realize how cold it was (21 F when we left the house). So we got there and I was promptly frozen and already ready to leave. All of the olive oils on display were solidified, as they do when they are refrigerated.

We bought some sea salt caramels from Burnt Sugar, pondered some very fresh duck breats (see below!) , but then left empty handed.



It was simply too cold to be wandering around, and so we left.

Michael screamed bloody murder on the train on the way home, and when we got him home we discovered a nice rash on his face, back and chest. I'm thinking it is chicken pox, but we'll have to wait to see what the GP says tomorrow to be sure.

3 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Hope Michael feels better.

What a fabulous market! I'd love to see it someday!

Amy McCown said...

The market looks very cool. Is that a rabbit in the picture above the duck? I can not figure out what it is. I hope that Michael feels better and we all get some warmer weather. I am so not a big fan of freezing.

Sandy said...

What the heck is that hairy beheaded thing hanging?? And I thought Taiwanese street markets gave me the creeps!