We took a trip to Malta this past weekend in search of sunshine. And we found it.
When you live in a climate that has nice weather most of the time, you get immune to days of sunshine & warmth. But when you live in a climate that has rain 328 days a year and requires a coat from September-July, you start to really yearn for just one day that does not require long pants, long sleeves, and a jacket. Now I understand why, when Brits go on Holiday, they absolutely broil themselves in the sun. I don't even tan (I'm religious about sunscreen, and see no reason to help Mother Nature along in making me look like an old leather glove) and all I wanted to do was just sit by the pool all day.
Kate has been so excited about going to the beach and the pool, and we were happy that the weather held and she was able to indulge in both. We made the mistake of taking her to the pool first though, and from then on she didn't want to go to the beach. She would say, "Here is the plan. We can go look at the beach, and then we'll go back to the pool, OK?". I'm not sure why she was so anti-beach, since the sea was considerably warmer than the unheated pool at our hotel.
I made a few packing mistakes and somehow forgot sunscreen. We went in search of some, and of course all the bottles were 15euro, which is about $25 for the cheap stuff.
Michael was exhausted from our 4 am wake-up call: 
This was the first trip that Danny & I have ever taken where we literally did nothing. We woke up in the morning, ate breakfast at the hotel, and then went to the pool. We stayed there until dinnertime, showered, ventured out for supper and then came home and we were all asleep by 8 every night. We always try to pack in lots of sight seeing and good eating when we travel, but we did none of that this time. Michael did great on this trip. He's been a tougher nut to crack than his sister, in terms of sleeping while away & traveling on planes & trains, but we're determined to make a world traveler of him yet. 






Euro baby strikes again! Actually, a lot of the small kids went nekkid into the pools & beaches. I'm no prude, but the thought of all that baby pee in the pool grossed me out.

The olive trees that were all over the place. Olives can not be eaten off the tree (yes, I tried). They have to be cured in brine for several weeks.
Kate shares her popsicle: 
In front of the beautiful Mediterranean Sea. It was SO blue. And apparently we still have some work to do in teaching Kate to sit like a lady while wearing a skirt. 
Monday, October 06, 2008
London Broil
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Fabulous! Looks like you had a wonderful time getting some much-needed vitamin D from the sunshine.
The water is so blue!
It does look like you had a great time. We always pack our holidays full of siteseeing too and I am ready for a lazy vacation. Malta looks beautiful.
Looks like an awesome trip...again I am jealous of the NEAT things ya'll are doing...too cool!
What a great adventure! I'm so jealous of y'all!!
Post a Comment